By Lexi Myer
My husband and I have been on a journey to be in better shape for a few months now. We have a very busy life, and with three young kids, we realized that if we wanted to enjoy life with them and continue to work as hard and as much as we do, we needed to make some changes. Below are some of the changes we have made in our lives to live a healthier lifestyle. I hope they help you as well.
- Cutting out refined sugar and unnecessary carbs. We rarely eat bread, cookies, cake, white rice, and other processed foods. Don’t get me wrong, we ordered a stuffed crust pizza on Mother’s Day and it was phenomenal. However, we limit those types of foods so that they are treats and not everyday meals. We have found that we have fewer cravings for them, and have more energy.
- Eating more clean foods. We eat more fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and natural foods. The fewer ingredients, the better. We love ranch dressing, so we have made our own dressing to ensure that it was not as processed as the store-bought brands. Sprouts produce has become our best grocery friend because we can buy great produce at incredibly low prices.
- Cutting out soda. This is one was REALLY hard for us! We used to drink Diet Coke like it was going out of style. However, we now opt for black coffee, tea, water, and La Croix (I know, gross to most people) which has made a huge difference!
- Consistently working out. We love the gym that we work out at, which make it much easier to go. We also had to find a gym with childcare so we couldn’t use the kids as an excuse not to go! We do a lot of circuit training, a little bit of cardio, and change things up a lot to make sure that we enjoy going. We also focus on getting stronger and not just losing weight.
- Find a plan that works for your lifestyle. If you do a workout or diet that you don’t enjoy, you won’t stick to it. Find ways to incorporate healthier decisions into your lifestyle, allow yourself some grace, and enjoy it! You will especially enjoy the payoffs of more energy, a stronger body, and a happier demeanor.
Do you have tips for living a healthier lifestyle? Please feel free to share them!
St. Louis Cardinals fan, mom of two daughters and one son, and insurance agent!
Direct Phone - 913-754-3836
Lexi started at MAX in June of 2016, and has 3 years of experience in the insurance industry. Lexi enjoys spending time with her husband, two children under two, and Chihuahua/Beagle mix Ted. Lexi and her family are big St. Louis Cardinals baseball fans and travel to see them whenever they can. She also works with students of the University of Kansas (KU) as her husband is a campus pastor there.