by Anna Smith, CISR
Auto insurance does not have to be complicated. Here are five things to know about auto insurance that can help you find the proper coverage for you and your family:
- Be Claims Savvy. Your insurance policy is a contract to pay for damages, both physical and financial. However, your rates could increase if you file a claim every time your car gets dinged by a grocery cart. If ever in doubt, contact your local agent for advice.
- Don’t Lie Just to Save a Couple of Bucks.You should always disclose important information to your insurance agent or company. If you think that not telling them you have five other relatives in your home and three of them also drive your vehicles in order to save some money, then you aren’t doing yourself any favors. If you were to have a loss that had injuries and damages, you are in danger of not being covered if the driver who caused the accident was not listed on your policy. You may also get non-renewed or canceled by your insurance company.
- Higher Deductibles Aren’t Always Best. If you have a loss where the total damages are $5,000 and your deductible is $1,000, then you’re paying 20% out-of pocket for the cost to repair. If your deductible was $250, then you are only paying 1/20 of the total repair cost.
- Sometimes Doing the Math Can Benefit you. It’s always best to calculate the total premium costs if you decide to pay with a payment plan. Some companies have high installment fees when you choose to pay semi-annual, quarterly, or even monthly. Be sure to read all of the information proposed to you by the agent before you get stuck paying more than you’d expected.
- Always do a Policy Review. Make sure you check your policy at each renewal. Contact your agent and go through your coverage with them to find out if you have any gaps in coverage, they are there to help you.
Contact us at MAX Insurance Agency, Inc. in Overland Park for your auto insurance needs. We would be happy to help you!
Anna has worked at MAX for the past 6 years while having over 9 years of experience in the insurance industry. When she’s not at work, Anna enjoys spending time with her daughters and pets. They keep her busy from morning until evening, but she loves their time together. Anna also enjoys cooking for friends and family, and shares many new recipe creations with her co-workers.